Paying For A Care Home

Here at Jackman’s Lodge, we understand you may be nervous about paying for your, or your loved one’s, residential care home. Paying nursing home fees and trying to find out which elderly care funding options apply to your loved one’s needs can be a stressful process. If you are having financial concerns about funding care home fees, we’re here to help every step of the way. We’ve put together some information below that you might find useful in regard to paying for a care home. You may be eligible for financial assistance from the local council which will help with your or your loved one’s care home fees. If you have any questions about the financial process when paying for a stay at a residential care home, please contact us today.

Paying For A Care Home

Paying for residential care in a specialist care home can often become expensive. There are a number of different elderly care funding options available that can help you meet the cost, but at times the system can be extremely complicated and difficult to navigate. You may find that you are eligible for financial help from either the NHS or local council depending on your or your loved one’s exact needs or requirements.

Gallery 12

How much will I have to pay for elderly care?

If the assessments conclude that you are eligible for funding for residential care, then the local council will calculate the overall cost of care using the means test. This part of the assessment will tell you how much you have to contribute from your financial resources to the cost of the care. The overall cost figure calculated by the local council is called the personal budget and it must be high enough to meet the cost of at least one suitable care home in the area. Although this can seem extremely worrying, you will be left with a Personal Expenses Allowance (PEA). This must be at least £24.90 per week and the council has the discretion to increase this amount depending on personal circumstances.

Gallery 29

Will I or my loved one be eligible for NHS funding?

NHS funding for elderly care depends on a wide range of different criteria. However, if you or your loved ones’ needs are primarily health-based, the NHS can arrange and pay for your care under NHS continuing healthcare (NHS CHC). If you are eligible for NHS CHC then your care home placement will be free and at no cost to you. During the assessment of your needs, the council will refer you to the NHS if they feel you are eligible for NHS CHC. In the citation that you do not meet the NHS CHC criteria, but still require nursing care then the NHS will pay a contribution towards the overall costs. These are paid directly to the nursing home and are called NHS FNC (NHS-funded nursing care).

Contact us
Care 2 1

Frequently Asked Questions

Here at Jackman’s Lodge, our compassionate team knows that paying for an elderly residential care home can be expensive. There is some assistance available to help you with care home funding. We’ve put together some frequently asked questions to help you understand funding for elderly care and the help that you or your loved one could receive. If you would like to learn more about care home funding, please get in touch with our experienced team today by calling 01483 694115.

Will I get to choose the care home for myself or my loved one if funding is required?

If you are paying for a care home for yourself or a loved one, you can choose exactly which care home. If you require funding, you will still be able to choose which care home but there may be certain limitations. These limitations include:

The chosen care home must meet your or your loved one’s needs. There must be a place available within the home. The care home provider must be willing to enter into a contract based on the local council’s terms. If the care home costs more than is necessary to meet your loved one’s needs, someone must be willing to pay the extra costs.

Do care home fees vary based on where I live?

Care home fees can vary based on the area that you live in, the care home itself and your own financial circumstance. Funding for elderly care may be available from your local council but the cost of residential care can be heightened in certain areas of the UK.

What if my chosen care home is more expensive than the funding I can receive?

In this scenario, somebody must fund the difference. This is usually called a ‘top-up fee’ and is often paid for by a third party. The council will not ask for a top-up when you are in a more expensive care home because it is necessary to meet your needs.

Get in touch

If you have any questions regarding paying for a care home or care home funding, please get in touch and we will be more than happy to assist.

Contact Us
01483 761779
mob phone but